For Residence Halls & University Apartments
Residents may have a maximum of one microwave and two refrigerators per room (single rooms may have one microwave and one refrigerator). Residents are allowed to have 2 MICROCHILL units per room if both are rented or purchased through the Department of Residence Life. Otherwise, a combination refrigerator/freezer/microwave appliance will be counted as one microwave and one refrigerator. In addition, the following conditions apply to microwaves and refrigerators in the residence halls:
- Microwaves must be U.L. approved and may not exceed a stated FCC rating of 700 watts (FCC rating placard must be intact).
- Refrigerators must be U.L. approved and the total size of the refrigerator and freezer combined may not exceed 4.4 cubic feet.
- Refrigerators must be kept clean for sanitation reasons.
- Refrigerators must be cleaned, defrosted, and unplugged between semesters.
- Refrigerators must be removed from the room prior to check-out unless rented from the University.
- Microwaves and refrigerators may not be plugged in and placed inside a closet.
- Microwaves and refrigerators must be plugged directly into a wall outlet. Residents in balcony style halls are the only exception to this rule due to the location of the outlets in the balcony style halls.
For more information regarding renting a combination refrigerator/freezer/microwave appliance, contact your residence hall staff or refer to Amenities > Add-Ons > Microwave Ovens & Combination Refrigerator/Microwave Appliances.
University Apartment residents may have one refrigerator, not exceeding 4.4 cubic feet, per bedroom. No additional microwaves or freezer units are allowed.