MOVE-OUT & BREAKS
Move-Out and Closing
If you are not returning to Residence Life, we hope you have enjoyed your time with us and that you will take many wonderful memories with you as you depart. Additional information about move-out and proper cleaning procedures can be found in On-campus Housing Rules
Residence Halls close over the winter break and at the conclusion of the spring semester. Information below is not exhaustive related to move-out information. Residents are strongly encouraged to attend closing meetings hosted by their Resident Advisors in order to avoid improper checkout and other fees.
If you are returning in January:
- Follow the details on the Yellow Express Checkout Guidelines given to you at your closing floor meeting. If you did not attend, you need to talk to your RA.
- Make sure all tasks are completed and sign the form. Tape the completed form to the back of your room door.
Main things needing to be completed:
- Room clean
- Trash taken out
- If you have a vacant space in your room, make sure all is clear for incoming residents
- Unplug ALL items
If you are NOT returning in January:
- You have 2 options: You can follow the Pink Express Checkout Guidelines or you can checkout with a staff member.
- Talk to your RA for more information and to find out what you need to do.
- You must return your keys regardless of your checkout process.
- Make sure you have cancelled your housing contract with the Housing Assignments Office located in the A3 Lounge.
Questions? Contact an Resident Advisor (RA) or your Community Director/Graduate Hall Director! Good luck on your finals!
May Closing & Summer Closing
Everyone has to checkout in May, even if you are going to Summer School Housing. We have moved to Express Checkout for all residence halls.
- With Express Checkout, you are taking on all responsibility for completing the items listed on the Express Checkout form and any damages or billing you might incur.
- This method allows for more flexibility on your time, but more responsibility placed in your own hands.
- During the closing floor meetings, you can pick up one of the Express Checkout forms from your RA.
- You will still need to get a key envelope for your keys to make sure we have the proper information needed to process the key back into our system. You can drop off your key at any time of the day or night in the key drop-box located right outside of your hall office.
You must attend the closing floor meeting to receive all of the information you need about closing. If you are unable to attend, please contact your Resident Advisor or your Graduate Hall Director/Community Director.
Think you are ready to check out? Go over this list to be sure!
- Doors – Cleaned, free of decals, door number intact and in good condition
- Floors – Cleaned, mopped, and dry/vacuumed
- Medicine Cabinet – Clean, door open
- Windows – Window sill(s) clean, screens fastened and intact, stickers/writing removed, locked
- Blinds – Clean, down, slats open – except ground floor, no knots in the cord
- Beds – Reassembled, mattress flat, pulled away from the wall 6 inches
- Desk – Clean, drawers empty and open, stickers removed
- Dresser – Clean, drawers 1/3 open
- Furniture* – UN-STACKED and pulled 6 inches away from wall, bunk beds assembled
- *All furniture in corridor style halls should be moved away from the AC/heater unit (Davis-Gary, Moses)
- Walls – Clean, tape/putty/double-stick pads/stickers removed, writing/drawings removed
- Bathroom – Clean and all items removed
- Refrigerator (MicroChill) – Defrosted, cleaned, dry, doors open and left in the room (if rented)
- Thermostat – Set at 76 degrees and fan at low speed (if applicable)
- Closet Doors – Cleaned, properly hung
For a calendar of move-out and closing dates, refer to the Closing Dates section below.
There are no upcoming events.
Temporary one-hour loading and unloading zones will be established in close proximity to the residence halls and apartments so that students may transfer their belongings between their building and vehicle with minimal inconvenience. | View Transportation Services Move-Out Procedures & Maps
Texas A&M University has three major breaks for students: Thanksgiving Break, Winter Break, and Spring Break.
Thanksgiving Break & Spring Break are approximately one week in duration and all housing communities remain open on campus. We do suggest, however, if you are leaving over these breaks to:
- Unplug appliances
- Lock windows and doors
- Remove trash and recycling
- Turn off heaters and lights
- Refer to additional break and move-out instructions provided by staff
Winter Break occurs between the Fall and Spring semester and is four to five weeks in duration. During this time, the Residence Halls and Corps Halls on campus close. White Creek and the Gardens Apartments do not close to residents.
Please review the Academic Calendar for up-to-date holiday and break dates. If you are staying on campus during a break, please be mindful of any changes to University Dining - Chartwells operating hours during these times.
Residence Life strongly supports sustainability. So, as you prepare to move out at the end of the Spring semester, we ask that you Donate, Don’t Dump! We have partnered with Goodwill Industries and local nonprofit organizations that provide trailers, trucks, and/or bins in convenient on-campus drop-off locations so you can donate unwanted clothing, décor, and other household items rather than adding them to the landfill.
Need to stay later or after closing?
Learn about Late Stay by going to How-To’s & Procedures > Late Stay.