How Can We Help?
For Corps Halls Only
In accordance with guidance provided by the Texas State Fire Marshal’s Office and Texas A&M University Environmental Health & Safety, the Corps Area Housing Office has established the following as it relates to general, holiday and special event decorations:
- All decorations must be approved by Corps Operations Staff prior to placement.
- Nothing to hinder or restrict access to any hallway, room, stairwell or maintenance closet.
- No decorations may be placed on the floor in hallways.
- No decorations may be placed on ceilings.
- Nothing may be attached to or block function or vision of any fire/life safety equipment (i.e. hallway fire doors, emergency lights, exit signs, hallway lights, fire extinguishers or smoke detectors).
- Covering the fire door window is strictly prohibited.
- Sufficient lighting in hallways and stairwells to permit safe passage must be maintained at all times.
- Hallway windows and light fixtures will not be covered with black out curtains/trash bags in an attempt to block out light.
- Paint (as well as other coloring substances including but not limited to fake blood) and/or adhesive materials including duct tape, masking tape and /or tape of any type cannot be utilized on floors, walls, ceilings, doors and windows. This is strictly prohibited.
- Use of a smoke/fog machine is strictly prohibited.
- Use of spray-snow and/or confetti snow (i.e., Styrofoam packing peanuts and other Styrofoam based material) is prohibited.
- Spider-webbing material:
- Must be classified as flame-retardant.
- Cannot be placed on the ceiling or span the width/length of the hallway.
- Cannot be placed on any part of the fire doors.
- Holiday lighting:
- Cannot be used in hallways.
- Must maintain a clearance of 24 inches from the smoke/heat detector.
- Cannot cross under or touch the light fixtures.
- Cannot be placed on the ceilings.
- Power strips used for holiday lighting must be Underwriter’s Laboratory (UL) approved with built-in circuit breakers and may not cross the fire doors or the stairwells.
- Electrical wiring may not be bent, crimped, or run under any doors.
- Wrapping paper cannot be applied to the hallway walls or ceilings.
- Wrapping paper may be applied to a resident’s door but is not permitted on the fire doors or utility/maintenance closet doors.
- Decorations (including but not limited to plastic wall-wrap, streamers, etc.), regardless if they are flame-retardant or not, cannot be applied through more than 20% of the length of the hallway (including in between the fire doors). Application of such decorations hinders effective evacuation of an area or floor.
- Placement of a live tree in the hallway is not permitted.
- All decorations in hallways must be cleaned up prior to the cadet leaving for the semester break. Decorations must be cleaned by cadets and all trash taken to outside dumpsters (not placed in hallway trash cans).