Kiest Hall is named after Edwin J. Kiest and was constructed in 1939. Mr. Kiest was a long-time editor, publisher and owner of the Dallas Times-Herald. He also worked in retail grocery during his career. Mr.Kiest served on the Texas A&M Board of Directors from 1927 until his death in 1941. He was awarded with an honorary degree from Texas A&M in 1941.