SUSTAINABILITY LIVING LEARNING COMMUNITY
About the Community
The purpose of the Sustainability Living Learning Community (abbreviated as SA – Sustainable Aggies) is to connect students from all majors and classifications who share an interest in learning more about sustainability globally and how to live a more sustainable lifestyle now and in the future.
SA is dedicated to promoting sustainability through educating residents and showing them the power of collective individual actions. Activities and programs for SA will incorporate at least one of the three pillars of sustainability (economic, environmental, and social).
To participate in the SA LLC, students must:
- Be enrolled as or considered a full-time student, undergraduate or graduate, at Texas A&M University of any major
- Have an interest in learning more about sustainability and living a more sustainable lifestyle
- Apply to live on campus
- You will then be emailed and asked to complete two short-response questions listed below:
- What interests you about joining this living learning community and what can you contribute?
- Why are you interested in learning more about and living immersed in sustainable thinking and behavior? Include any prior experience (4H, environmental club, etc).
Residents of the SA LLC will be expected to participate in programs and events while living within the community. On average the time requirement will be two to four hours each week. Residents will also gain the chance to work with our academic partners across various colleges at Texas A&M.
Residents within the Sustainability LLC will have the opportunity to hear from guest speakers and attend on and off-campus field trips. While the specific speakers and trips are expected to vary each year, a list of potential examples is listed below:
- Aggies to Aggies
- Howdy Farm
- Bryan Farmers Market
- Texas A&M Central Utility Plant
- Brazos Valley Recycling
- and many more
Residents will also be involved with participating in a wide variety of service, social, and campus engagement events as part of living together and creating community amongst residents. Like the presentations, programs, and field trips these events will vary, but will typically include some of the following examples:
- Aggie Replant Day
- BIG Event
- Project Clean Plate
- Hosting tables during Texas Recycles Day or Campus Sustainability Day
- and more
During a specific period of time, students selected for this program will be able to choose a roommate(s) from other students selected for the same Living Learning Community. Students may post profiles within myHousing Portal and view responses by other students to their roommate questionnaire (i.e., sleep schedule, noise, cleanliness, etc.). Following this specific time period, students will be assigned a room with their requested roommate within the block of rooms designated for the Living Learning Community.