GARDENS APARTMENT APPLICATION PROCESS
Welcome to the Gardens Apartment! We are happy you're here. The Gardens apartments are reserved for families, graduate students, students with dependent children, International students, U.S. military veteran students, Students who are at least 21 years old, and Students who have completed at least 2 semesters at Texas A&M University. Assignment priority is given to graduate, married, families, international, and veteran students when making assignments.
Read about the application process, and get resources for living here. Please review the Gardens Apartment application processes and applicable contract below. If you have questions, we invite you to contact us.
To apply for housing at the Gardens Apartments, you will begin by logging into myHousing Portal using your NetID and password. Don’t have a NetID and password? Visit the Howdy Portal and select Activate Your Account. The Housing Application usually opens in early October.
Please keep in mind that when you submit an application, the information will be reviewed, if we have an Apartment that fits your criteria, we will then send out the contract. If you have questions navigating through the portal or you believe there is an error, please contact us at 888.451.3896.
Step 1: Apply for Housing
To begin, log into myHousing Portal using your NetID and password, click on Housing Application, and follow the step-by-step on-screen instructions outlined below.
Step 2: Provide your Preferences
- Length of Contract (9.5 months ends May 31 or 12 months ends July 31)
- Rental Style (by bed or by apartment)
- Apartment Style (size 1 bed/1 bath, 2 bed/1 bath or 2 bed/2 bath)
- Move-In Date (Month and Year)
Step 3: Accept Assignment Offer & Sign Lease
Once you have submitted your application, it will be reviewed. You will be sent a contract if we have one of your apartment preferences available. Sign (by submitting your UIN) and submit the contract. You have now secured a Gardens apartment.
Step 4: Complete Annual Housing Orientation
On-campus living has a lot of built-in support resources and staff to support you during your time at Texas A&M. We are a diverse community with our standards and rules. For that reason, we ask all students living in our on-campus communities to complete the Annual Housing Orientation. The Annual Housing Orientation must be completed on June 15 or after to be valid for the upcoming academic year. You must complete the orientation before you will be able to schedule your move-in appointment.
Step 5: Schedule Move-In Appointment
Move-in appointments open July 1 for fall move-in and December 1 for spring move-in. After you have completed the Annual Housing Orientation, you will be able to schedule a move-in appointment from August 15 through the end of August. Residents wanting to move-in prior to August 15, please see the early move-in information section. You will receive your apartment key and complete an apartment inventory form at your move-in appointment. You may complete your move-in at your convenience after you receive your key. All Gardens contracts (rent billing) begin on August 15 unless you schedule a move-in appointment between August 1 and 14, and then your rent billing will begin that day. If you need to change a scheduled move-in appointment, please call the Gardens Office at 979-845-2261.
Step 6: Move-In
We are very excited to welcome you to Residence Life at Texas A&M University! Please show up at your scheduled move-in time to the Gardens Apartments Community Center with your TAMU ID or other picture ID to get your key and move-in. Of course, you can always contact the Gardens Apartments Office. if you have additional questions or concerns before you arrive. We will see you in Aggieland! We will see you in Aggieland!
Early Move-in is defined as when a student would like to move into Gardens Apartment earlier than the official contract start date (August 15). Please email the Gardens Apartments (Gardens-Apartments@reslife.tamu.edu) if you would like to move in to the Gardens Apartments between August 1 and 14. If your apartment is available, we will make arrangements for you to move in. Not all apartments will be available for early move-in. The sooner you request an early move-in, the better your chances of being approved to move in early.
The University Apartments have an official date when they open for occupancy every semester. If a resident needs to move in before the official opening date, approval must be obtained. Once the resident has their assignment, they may apply for early move-in online by logging in to myHousing Portal and clicking on Annual Housing Orientation. At the completion of the Annual Housing Orientation, the resident will be presented with a check-in appointment calendar where they will be able to schedule their check-in appointment. They must have completed the online orientation before the check-in calendar will allow them to schedule a check-in appointment. Approvals for early move-in are dependent upon unit availability. An early move-in fee is assessed for each day they live on campus before the official opening date. Refer to our Important Dates and Events Calendar for all important housing dates, including opening dates.
Refer to Annual Housing Orientation for more detailed information.
The Gardens Apartments permit room/apartment changes, but this depends on apartment availability, the way a resident is renting, length of contract apartment openings, and time of year.
Our process for requesting accommodations is as follows:
- The student must have applied and have been already accepted to Texas A&M University.
- The student should submit their application for on-campus housing through the Residence Life myHousing Portal
- If a student makes an accommodations request directly to the Department of Residence Life based on disability need, they will be referred to Department of Disability Resources for documentation review.
- The student should provide documentation of their disability that supports the need for the requested housing accommodation(s) to Disability Resources.
- The Disability Resources Decision, Review and Consultation Committee will review the documentation and then assign an Access Coordinator (AC) to work with the student.
- If the documentation supports the requested need, the AC will gather detailed information from the student related to their housing needs and have a liaison forward a Housing Accommodations Request form on behalf of the student to the Department of Residence Life.
- If the housing request is not supported by the documentation, the Access Coordinator will contact the student to notify them of the decision or to request additional documentation.
- Once the Housing Accommodations Request form is reviewed by the Department of Residence Life, the Housing Assignments staff will notify the student of their placement or may contact the student to discuss their options.
More information can be found related to examples of the types of housing accommodations we have by visiting Amenities > Services > Accommodations / Accessibility Options. Remember, we are here to help during your transition to Aggieland. Please let us know how we may assist you through the housing application process.
Once a Gardens Apartment is signed, the only approved reasons to cancel the contract are graduation, student teaching, internship, practicum (outside of the local area), and US Military Service. If the reason to cancel the contract falls outside of these reasons, the resident will be held to the terms of the contract and required to pay rent through the end of the contract term. Please refer to the housing contract for further information on cancelation and early termination fees.
You may request to cancel your housing contract by logging into myHousing Portal using your NetID and password.