The Texas A&M University Women’s Resource Center, Career Center, and Money Education Center invite you to attend one of our salary negotiation workshops.
According to research done by the American Association of University Women (AAUW), women working full time in the United States are typically paid just 80 percent of what men are paid. Moreover, only about 7 percent of women attempt to negotiate for a higher salary in their first job, compared to 57 percent of men.
Research also suggests that recent college graduates are unlikely to negotiate for their salaries. A 2015 article cited by the Washington Post indicated that out of almost 8,000 new college graduates surveyed, only 38 percent negotiated for their salary.
To ensure that all Texas A&M students are prepared to negotiate a fair salary upon graduation, we are offering AAUW Start Smart and AAUW Work Smart Salary Negotiation Workshops.
AAUW Start Smart and AAUW Work Smart Salary Negotiation Workshops teach participants how to negotiate for a fair salary. In every two-hour workshop, participants gain confidence in their negotiation styles through facilitated discussion and role-play, and learn:
- How to identify and articulate their personal value.
- How to develop an arsenal of persuasive response and other negotiation strategies.
- How to conduct objective market research to benchmark a target salary and benefits.
Information on the wage gap, including its long-term consequences.
The AAUW Start Smart Workshop is ideal for students who are preparing to enter the professional job force for the first time. In addition to the skills listed above, students learn how to research the cost of living in the location where they plan to live and how to build a basic budget, which informs their salary ask.
The AAUW Work Smart Workshop is better suited to students who may have already been in the workforce and have experience with personal budgeting. This workshop dives deeper into salary negotiation, including how to negotiate raises with your supervisor.
We recommend that students choose to attend an AAUW Start Smart Workshop or an AAUW Work Smart Workshop 3-4 months before they plan to start their post-graduate job search. Each workshop is limited to 40 participants. Pre-registration is required. All Texas A&M University students are welcome to attend AAUW Smart Start and AAUW Work Smart Workshops regardless of gender identity.
Fall 2019 Start Smart Workshops:
- Thursday, September 19 | 5:30 – 7:30pm | Rudder Tower, Room 701
- Wednesday, October 16 | 5:30 – 7:30pm | Rudder Tower, Room 707
- Tuesday, November 19 | 5:30 – 7:30pm | Rudder Tower, Room 701
Fall 2019 Work Smart Workshops:
- Wednesday, September 25 | 5:30 – 7:30pm | Rudder Tower, Room 701
- Thursday, October 24 | 5:30 – 7:30pm | Rudder Tower, Room 401
- Thursday, November 21 | 5:30 – 7:30pm | Rudder Tower, Room 401
Direct questions or concerns about the AAUW Start Smart or AAUW Work Smart Workshops via email to Women’s Resource Center or call 979.845.8784.