About the Community
The IntersXtions Living Learning Community (IntersXtions) welcomes undergraduate students from all majors who wish to explore issues of social justice and diversity through academic and community engagement. Through service-learning projects, facilitated dialogues, and for-credit courses, the LLC fosters a safe (and brave) space for students to confront a multitude of social inequalities.
The purpose of the Living Learning Community is to facilitate diversity and social justice experiences that enrich the academic and social pursuits of undergraduate students in a community setting.
To be a participant in the IntersXtions LLC, students must:
- Be an undergraduate student in any major; special consideration given to students with a Women’s and Gender Studies major and minor
- Interest and/or experience in social justice and diversity
- Apply and complete an on-campus housing application
Fall Semester: WGST 285: IntersXtions LLC 1 (0 – 3 credit hour)
Spring Semester: WGST 285: IntersXtions LLC 1 (0 – 3 credit hour)
Prerequisite courses. Can be taken concurrent (at the same time) with IntersXtions participation:
- AFST 201: Introduction to Africana Studies
- AFST 209/PSYC 209: Psychology of Culture and Diversity
- AFST 317/SOCI 317: Racial and Ethnic Relations
- LMAS 201: Introduction to Latin/Mexican American Studies
- WGST 200: Introduction to Women’s & Gender Studies
- WGST 207/SOCI 207: Introduction to Gender & Society
- WGST 420/COMM 420: Gender and Communication
Other International and Cultural Diversity (ICD) courses as approved on an individual basis by Dr. Kristan Poirot.
*This location was selected for its lowest price point/cost to enable as many students as possible to join the community. Thus, to minimize the barriers of socioeconomic status for participation.
Auto-assigned to a room within one of the buildings based on roommate questionnaire, including roommate preferences. Then, there will be a time period specified in the acceptance letters for members to change their room assignment within the community via the myHousing Portal – if desired.