Hughes Hall is named after Lloyd H. Hughes and was constructed in 1964. Lt. Hughes is a member of the Class of '43. He piloted his heavy bomber to a precision minimum-altitude bombing of Axis refineries in Ploesti, Romania, on August 1, 1943, even though sheets of gasoline were streaming from his aircraft. After flying through the flames from burning refineries, he attempted a forced landing with his left wing aflame. The aircraft crashed and was consumed.