Privacy & Security Statement
The Department of Residence Life at Texas A&M University respects your privacy. The Department of Residence Life web site does not collect or permanently store personal information about visitors browsing the web site.
Personal information is collected and permanently stored only if you choose to submit an online form for processing by Residence Life, for example the application for campus housing. Also, if you choose to submit a form, cookies are used to manage your session, however, cookies are not used to collect personal information and do not persist beyond the time of your session on the web site.
Personal information that you provide via e-mail or through other online means may be stored permanently as needed but will be used only for purposes necessary to serve your needs. This may involve redirecting your information to another department better suited to meeting your needs.
We do use server logs to collect technical information concerning your Internet connection. This information may be used to analyze trends; to create summary statistics for the purpose of determining technical design specifications; and to identify system performance or problem areas.
Server log information is only released -- when legally required -- to help law enforcement investigations, legal proceedings or internal investigations of TAMU rule and regulation violations. These groups would use the information to track the electronic interactions back to the source computer(s) or account(s).
Some of our web sites also send general information about your visit to Google Analytics. We do not send personal information to Google Analytics.
Except for education records governed by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), all information collected from our web sites, including server logs, and information collected from web forms, or email you send to us, may be subject to the Texas Public Information Act. This means that while we do not actively share information, in some cases we may be compelled by law to release this information.
Server Log Information
The following information is collected from server logs for analysis:
- User/client hostname - The hostname (or IP address if DNS is disabled) of the user/client requesting access.
- HTTP header, "user agent" - The user-agent information includes the type of browser, its version, and the operating system it is running on.
- HTTP header, "referrer" - The referrer specifies the page from which the client accessed the current page.
- System date - The date and time of the user/client request.
- Full request - The exact request the user/client made.
- Status - The status code the server returned to the user/client.
- Content length - The content length, in bytes, of the document sent to the user/client.
- Method - The request method used
- Universal Resource Identifier (URI) - The location of a resource on the server.
- Query string of the URI - Anything after the question mark in a URI.
- Protocol - The transport protocol and version used.
Google Analytics stores the following information on their web site:
- User/client hostname - The host-name or IP address of the user/client requesting access
- HTTP header, "user agent" - The user-agent information includes the type of browser, its version, and the operating system on which it is running
- Universal Resource Identifier (URI) - The location of a resource on the server including web pages, images, and other files
- HTTP header, "referrer" - The referrer specifies the page from which the user/client accessed the current page
- Screen colors - Color processing ability of the user/client screen
- Screen resolution - The resolution or dimensions of the user/client screen
- Service Provider - The Internet service provider of the user/client
- Mobile device - If user/client is a mobile device, the manufacturer of the mobile device
- Mobile carrier - If user/client is a mobile device, its Internet service provider
- Bandwidth (Internet connection speed) - The speed of the user/client connection from their Internet service provider
- Java support - If Java is enabled
- Flash version - Which version of Adobe Flash is installed
- Geographic data - Country, State, City, language preference of the user/client
- Time on page - The time spent on a web page
We employ extensive security measures consistent with the Texas Administrative Code (TAC) "Information Security Standards" and Texas A&M University Rules and Standard Administrative Procedures to protect against unauthorized access, disclosure, modification, or destruction of information under our control, as well as the loss, misuse, or alteration of our web sites and/or associated electronic information resources. The information resources that support our web sites undergo an annual information security risk assessment via the Information Security Awareness Assessment and Compliance (ISAAC) system. The ISAAC system assesses the security posture of information systems and measures compliance with information security standards.
The Texas Public Information Act, with a few exceptions, gives you the right to be informed about the information our web sites collect about you. It also gives you the right to request a copy of that information, and to have the university correct any of that information. You may request to receive and review any of this information, or request corrections to it, by contacting the TAMU Public Information Officer or the TAMU Office of Open Records, 1181 TAMU, College Station, Texas, 77843-1181, at 979-862-7777.
If you have any questions about this privacy statement, the practices of this site, or your use of this Web site, please contact Residence Life at firstname.lastname@example.org.