COMMUNITY LIVING CREED
Living on campus at Texas A&M University means living in a community of scholars.
This community is dynamic, comprised of various people with different values, cultures, life styles, and attitudes. As members of the community, we must strive to understand the individuality and life choices of those among us. We can best learn from one another in an atmosphere of positive encouragement and mutual respect. We must possess a genuine desire to learn from those around us as well as give others the respect we desire. Each person has a role to play in our on-campus community and should be allowed to do so.
Texas A&M University on campus communities incorporate the following:
- Education – to ensure teaching and learning takes place beyond the classroom;
- Openness – so ideas and thoughts can be discussed freely;
- Respect – to ensure individuality is honored so diversity can be pursued;
- Responsibility – so the individual accepts obligations to the community and is held accountable for individual actions;
- Caring – to ensure the individual’s well-being is supported, and that community service is encouraged;
- Involvement – so the individuals have a voice in decisions concerning their community;
- Ownership – to ensure all individuals care for their facilities and adjacent property and;
- Celebration – so Texas A&M University history and culture is promoted and residence life and University traditions are shared.
Your rights in our community include: sleeping and studying without disturbance; living in a supportive and stimulating community; living in a safe, secure, healthy, and clean environment; socializing in your room; enjoying access to a variety of programs, services and facilities; and involving yourself and others in promoting an educational, open, respectful, responsible, caring, involving and celebrative community.
Your responsibilities in our community include: considering the needs of other residents and balancing them with your own needs; promoting care of the physical facilities, equipment, and services; communicating with other residents and staff members; allowing other residents to know when they are disturbing you; demonstrating a commitment to the community by getting involved; promoting campus and individual safety, and demonstrating dignity and respect for all individuals. Living on campus at Texas A&M University affords you many opportunities to face challenges head on, achieve in a variety of areas and grow as an individual. However, these things only happen when you actively participate and support the community ideals stated here.
Adapted from: “In Search of Community,” Ernest Boyer and from the “Statement of Community,” Texas Tech University